7.25.2009

Saturday.

[10:05 a.m.] I'm waiting for the bus. Late for work again cursing my inability to be on time for anything. I see a girl I know works at Royal Sporting House Suntec City trying to hail a cab. I ask if she wants to share. We make small talk and hop into a Merc.
[11:10 a.m.] I'm going down Takashimaya's staff entrance with the lady that takes care of the Winx merchandise opposite my booth. We laugh at each other for being late and punch our timecards in.
[05:32 p.m.] I attend to one last customer before what will be my first and only break. 1 becomes 3. I meet K-Boy and Lionel for lunch. At $5.80, baked rice was good. Boss and Nurali drop by to support. I really appreciate it.
[06:45 p.m.] There's a kid behind me going "Excuse me" 43 times over. He thinks that phrase gets him free atention. I'm holding a thin right hand that belongs to a girl called Rachel. I tell her to let go of the yoyo, and when it reaches the bottom I pull her hand up and help her catch the yoyo. I give her a Hi-5. Another parent wants me to help. I sense it. We do it a few more times before I tell her to practice it for abit. I look up, another girl needs her string cut, her sister and the boy too young for yoyos beside her too. I end up holding all their hands. The kid's still going "Excuse me", this time tapping my shoulder at the same time. I wonder who/where are the parents. I duck behind, gulp some water, shout to the growing crowd that the show is going to start in about 15 minutes. The music doesn't go on for 25. I tell "Excuse me" to practice.
[07:10 p.m.] K-Boy is on stage rockin it. He's tired. I feel it. His fatigue and my own. A punk cover of "Somewhere over the rainbow" blasts from the speakers. It's essentially the 5th show of the day, the crowd is ok. Could be better. My voice is going and I'm running out of shit to say fast. I tell myself I'm repeating the same few phrases. The applause is dying but the crowd is growing. I run the same game, say the same lines, and try and make it sound like it's the first time I'm doing it. I'm putting all I have into the voice but it's losing it's power. I wonder why. A grand total of 14 people are clapping. My mucus is building up in my nostrils. I look into the crowd to see a girl waving. She's from Ireland.
[07:30 p.m.] The show is over but the toughest part lies in managing the 47 kids and parents running at us with new yoyos demanding some kind of instruction or divine intervention, all at the same time. 16 hands later, "Excuse me" is bothering me with another trick. The yoyo he's using sucks. Matter fact most the yoyos I'm asking them to get sits right next to absolute garbage. I tell him to practice. There's a throbbing pain in my feet and my eyes are dry. Some random boy comes up with a heavier accent then me demanding me to give him a yoyo. I start coughing up phlegm. I've ran out of patience & energy 18 minutes ago. His name is John. My mucus is threatening to reveal itself to the rest of the world. I smile at a pretty lady with a baby.
[10:00 p.m.] I stumble out from the staff entrance onto the bustling Orchard Road overwhelmed by all its Saturday Night Craziness. Girls dressed to kill, with whatever they can afford. Directly contrasting my hunched back and heavy step. I can't help but feel I'm missing out on the party.
[02:00 a.m.] I wrap this post up and stumble into bed, only to do it all over again tomorrow.

[02:03 a.m.] I look at one of the pictures I took of the kids. I remind myself that these genuine smiles make it all worthwhile.

1 comment: