3.22.2011

Disaster Marketing

I know this comes at a bad time and in bad taste. But I'll tell you what else is in bad taste. Everybody and his brother's startup company releasing a white-red coloured product to "Support Japan".

Years ago when a disaster struck, if companies wanted to help, donating was the only way to show people "XYZ & Co. Cares". But when a few companies with clever PR departments had success releasing "disaster products" to aid victims, the rest of the world followed suit.

When the quake hit Japan weeks ago, it was an obvious marketing opportunity. Companies big and small were thinking of ways to cash in. Either on money, public relations or both.

But the disaster in Japan doesn't just give you the chance to build goodwill. Because when the bandwagon of cool is shaken, it's everyone's chance to jump on. When Haiti shook, I didn't see no one "Dance for Haiti". I didn't see no one "Design for Haiti". It just well, isn't as cool.

So really when I see Channel News Asia trying to cash in, I shrug and move on because really, everyone is doing the same thing.

By the way, Japan's death toll is nearing 20,000. 230,000 died in Haiti.
Japan is the world's 3rd largest economy. It has the resources to rebuild itself.
Haiti has the world's 3rd highest percentage of people under the poverty line (80%). Haiti doesn't have jack shit.

So unlike the rest of the world, I'm not going to tell you how you can help a country that will help itself. I'm telling you that you can help Haiti at Yele Haiti, where Wyclef Jean has nothing to cash in on.

(Don't get me wrong. I love Japan. The food, the culture, everything. I have friends in Japan. I feel bad for everyone there. I just think everyone trying to cash in on their plight by disguising it as support really is straight disgusting. Please think of a new marketing gimmick.)

No comments:

Post a Comment