10.24.2010

The Greatest Rapper You Never Heard Of

Will never be heard again. Michael Larsen better known as Eyedea left us 17th October 2010 and I don't know where to begin.

The world has lost a rapper that is in so many ways simply unparalleled. A genius ahead of his time, his raps appear many times difficult to listen to because they are some of the deepest, most profound hiphop ever recorded. If you actually read his lyrics as you follow his songs however, you find that they move you, inspire you and open your eyes.
Right now though, amidst all the sorrow, they just make me Smile. (Choice lyrics below to help you follow the song)

The sadly married set up alibis. No harm, no regret,
hoping they meet an angel in bed that can wrestle the devil right out of their heads

This city runs fast, no one has time to sit with themselves,
no time to look into our pain or see the same despair in everyone else
its here, its there, its everywhere tears soak each card the dealers dealt
But time taught me how to see every second as heaven even though they're perfectly disguised as hell

Despite the wars founded by the rich, funded by the poor
kids barely 18 are dying so billionaires can make more
elsewhere hungry mothers watch their babies starve to death in a beat up shack on a dirt floor

I can only build if I tear the walls down
even if it breaks me I wont let it make me frown
I'm falling but no matter how hard I hit the ground
I'll still smile
:-)

1 comment: